Most people would think that making ramen noodles from scratch is a daunting task. It is actually much easier than you think. I have been making my own noodles from scratch for the past few years. I have perfected a simple way to make it in less than 10 minutes. So these days, I no longer need to buy any packaged noodles from a store.
AIRBNB EXPERIENCE: BOOK OUR TONKOTSU RAMEN POP-UP EVENT HERE
Most ramen at stores are flour-based. For my version, I prefer using eggs as it gives a richer texture and is better nutritiously. The other essential ingredient that I use is a splash of Potassium Carbonate & Sodium Bi-Carbonate Solution (aka kansui). It is a bottle of clear solution. You can buy this in most Asian grocery stores. By adding a splash of this ingredient into the noodle dough, it gives the noodles an elastic texture that Italian pasta lacks. Be careful of adding too much because the noodles will have an unpleasant metallic flavor.
To make the process easier and faster, I use a KitchenAid Mixer pasta roller and spaghetti cutter attachments. By repeatedly feeding the noodle sheets in the pasta roller, I can simulate the noodles that some chefs hand pull.
This recipe below makes about three servings. If you only want to make it for one person, you can use one egg and ½ cup to ¾ cup of flour. You can refrigerate left over dough by wrapping in plastic wrap then placing in a container. Refrigerated dough can last for about 3-4 days.
Ingredient (make 3 servings)
2 large eggs
1-1½ cups All purpose flour (unbleached)
1 teaspoon Potassium Carbonate & Sodium Bi-Carbonate Solution
- Place one cup of flour on a silicon mat or large wood cutting board. Make a well in the center.
- Crack the eggs in the middle of the well.
- Add Potassium Carbonate & Sodium B-Carbonate Solution.
- Using a fork, whisk the eggs and gradually mix the flour into the eggs for one minute. Add more flour if the dough appears to be too wet.
- Form the egg/flour mixture and knead the dough for 2-3 minutes. Add more flour if the dough appears to be too wet.
- Feed the dough into KitchenAid pasta roller with the thickest setting (setting #1). Trifold the dough and repeatedly put it back to the pasta roller until the dough becomes shiny and strong (almost like bubble gum). Add more flour until the noodle sheet is not sticky. This process should take about 5 minutes. [TIP – periodically you can gently pull the noodle sheets out. If the sheet does not create holes or tear apart, the sheet is ready]
- Increase the pasta roller setting to #2. Feed the noodle sheet only once. Repeat the process for setting #3 and setting #4. Flour the noddle sheet if it is sticky.
- Using the KitchenAid spaghetti cutter attachment, feed the noodle sheet once.
- Boil the noodles for about 45 seconds. Strain with cold water for a minute until the noodles become cold.
***CHECK OUT AIRBNB EXPERIENCES IN SAN FRANCISCO HERE***
***CHECK OUT EATWITH.COM DINNERS IN MISSION DISTRICT CLICK HERE FOR MORE: CHECK OUT EATWITH DINNERS ***
Eat with creative foodies who ARE always looking for something different
WHAT IS EATWITH?
EatWith hosts range from professionally-trained, Michelin-starred chefs to the most passionate and practiced home cooks. Every host is interviewed by the EatWith team and currently only 4% of all applicants are accepted. Think you have what it takes?THE FOODChefs set the menu based on what inspires them and use the freshest ingredients to prepare a personalized dining experience. Try an authentic ethnic meal or custom-designed tasting menu-dishes you won’t find anywhere else in town.Choose your menuBrowse our unique dining experiences to find an event that looks delicious and suits your schedule.Book a seatReserve a seat at the table as soon as possible. Events will fill up quickly.Get ready to partyThe host will confirm and send the exact address and directions. You’ll also get access to the guest list and group messages thread, so you can start chatting with your fellow diners.Have funShow up and enjoy yourself! Savor your gourmet meal and end the night with new friends.
IN SAN FRANCISCO REGISTER FOR A DINNER BY CLICKING HERE
We enjoy creating a full dining experience, serving you delicious food with bold flavors plated to be as pleasing to the eye as to the palate, with an emphasis on fresh and healthy ingredients. From appetizers to main courses and desserts, we aim for a unique dining experience!