There are a lot of gelato recipes out there. I find the best ones are those that you adapt for your own tastes and needs. In this case, I love a smooth lemongrass gelato. But a lot of the recipes online call for sweetened condensed milk. I find those just too sweet and way too fattening. So, I adapted my own recipe. My base recipe was inspired by this one. My recipe will make about two pints!
What you will get here is a silky, smooth gelato.
WHAT YOU NEED
I use a three-to-one mix of heavy cream and low fat milk: 3 Cups Heavy Cream to 1 Cup Low Fat Milk (some people whole milk but again, I’ve adapted to my own recipe)
5 stalks of lemongrass, sliced then bruised
10 egg yolks (yes, this is a lot of egg yolks but two pints should offer about 12-14 servings)
1 cup sugar
Salt to taste
- Mix the cream, milk and salt in a medium pot. Drop the bruised lemongrass pieces in. Warm. Do not boil. Turn off the heat and let the lemongrass steep in the milk for at least one hour.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and egg yolks. Whisk until light yellow ribbons start to form.
- Slowly pour the now-cooled cream mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Return all to the pot. Warm the mixture on medium to low heat. Do not boil. Warm the mixture until it coats the back of a wooden spoon. I actually use two spoons to stir while it’s warming and make sure both spoons are coated before turning the heat off.
- Strain to remove the lemongrass. I also the strain three more times! I believe this helps with a finer, smoother texture. Place the mixture in a bowl, sealed with plastic wrap and covered, in the refrigerator for about 6 hours. I like the mixture really chilled.
- From this point, churn in your ice cream maker. For a gelato, I churn in my KitchenAid for about 12-14 minutes. Freeze and enjoy!
***CHECK OUT EATWITH.COM DINNERS NEAR THE NEW SEAHOLM RESIDENCES CLICK HERE FOR MORE: CHECK OUT EATWITH DINNERS ***
Eat with creative foodies who ARE always looking for something different
WHAT IS EATWITH?
EatWith hosts range from professionally-trained, Michelin-starred chefs to the most passionate and practiced home cooks. Every host is interviewed by the EatWith team and currently only 4% of all applicants are accepted. Think you have what it takes?
We enjoy creating a full dining experience, serving you delicious food with bold flavors plated to be as pleasing to the eye as to the palate, with an emphasis in fresh and healthy ingredients. From appetizers to main courses and desserts, we aim for a unique dining experience!